Cruce Tectum

Cruce tectum, hidden under the cross, a blog for Epiphany Lutheran Church, Dorr, Michigan

Name:
Location: Moscow, Idaho

Saturday, December 01, 2007

The Golden Compass

A great resource for learning about and responding to The Golden Compass movie is available at the LCMS website, <http://www.lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=12792>. This is a very well-written piece by Dr. Joel D. Heck from Concordia University Texas in Austin. If you haven't had a chance to read it, check it out. I appreciate a number of things about the article, but especially that Dr. Heck not only warns us about the sinister use of the art of literature by atheist Philip Pullman in these books/movies, but also teaches us how literature can be used by authors and audiences alike to enrich our reflection on the Christian faith. I also appreciate that Dr. Heck doesn't tell us to boycott the movie, but leaves it to our Christian freedom whether or not we see it, and gives us some helpful hints about how to go into the movie with our Christian eyes wide open. Thank you, Dr. Heck.

We'll be publishing the article in our December newsletter here at Epiphany.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps if Dr. Heck wrote in today's language, he would have said said something of value. The article is politically slanted and tells us absolutely nothing.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Pastor Krenz said...

Fair enough, I guess. I, for one, found it helpful, so I guess he did say something of value, even if it wasn't valuable for you. If I found something of value in the article, I'm sure others will as well, which is why I posted it. And as a pastor, I want my members to read it as well, because I see something of value in it for them. I'm sorry you didn't find it helpful. As for being politically slanted, good luck proving that one.
Blessings,
Pastor Krenz

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Timotheos said...

What's "today's language"? Arabic?

Tim

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home