Cruce Tectum

Cruce tectum, hidden under the cross, a blog for Epiphany Lutheran Church, Dorr, Michigan

Name:
Location: Moscow, Idaho

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Contentment

Contentment is the secret of happiness. So said Prof. Marquart. This coming Sunday's pericopes warn against covetousness. The opposite of covetousness is contentment. We fallen humans are rarely content. I almost want to say never content, for it is impossible for this sinful flesh to ever be completely content with what it has been given. But God is good. He blesses us anyway. And sometimes we do have glimpses, all-too-fleeting though they be, of what it feels like to be content.

So here I am in the Pacific Northwest, my home stomping grounds, and if you've ever been to the Pacific Northwest, you know that the plentiful mountains flow with microbrewed milk and honey. Thus it was that my extended family and I found ourselves at the Oregon Brewers Festival at Portland's Waterfront Park on Sunday afternoon. It was a mild Portland afternoon, partly cloudy, not too hot, not too cold. I sat there with a frothy mug of ice cold pilsner, people watching, with the Willamette River in the background, and enjoying the company of my wife and the family we don't see nearly enough. There it was... contentment. I wanted nothing else. Life was as perfect as ever it could be. I could have sat there forever.

But contentment doesn't last long. Not this side of heaven and the eschaton. You see, on either side of the park during Brew Fest, there is a veritable forest of Honey Buckets, and they are not there without reason. The moment had passed. The pilsner had run its course. It was time to come back to earth. But for a short time, through a mirror darkly, I had a glimpse of the way things should be. As Benjamin Franklin is famous for saying, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." It is one of the few theological statements that old Ben got right. Thanks be to God for His love and for an afternoon that I will not soon forget.

2 Comments:

Blogger Timotheos said...

Or, as one good friend put it, "Proof is beer..."

I hope you drank something Northwesty for me.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Pastor Krenz said...

Ah, brother Timotheos, if only you could have been there... so much for contentment!

Congratulations on your ordination!

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home